WHEN TO USE CONCRETE SCANNERS AND DETECTORS
Typical applications for detection tools and systems
It’s easy to hit a hidden object when you’re working on a jobsite.
So, our Hilti detection systems are designed to find pipes, live wires or rebar and avoid hitting them when you drill, core, saw or cut.
Our range of cordless detection systems are shock, dust and water-resistant, designed for:
- Finding metal and non-metal embedded objects in concrete, bricks, masonry and other base materials.
- Non-destructive structural inspection of rebar – estimate depth of concrete cover, location, size and dimension of rebar.
- Pipes – find metal and non-metal pipes, such as plastic and PVC.
- Live wires – locate electrical conduits.
- Other objects – find wood, structural steel reinforcement, post-tension cables (PT cables), pre-stressed tendons (PS tendons), concrete beams and more.
- Discover complex layouts of multiple embedded objects over large areas – this is particularly useful for large structures such as bridges or tunnels.
- Find drill bit exit points, measure drill bit lengths and angles.
This all helps to set anchors and rebar correctly and avoids hits and damaging drill bits.
Using Hilti detection tools and software has many benefits.
They avoid having to cut into existing structures.
They help to improve safety and avoid accidents onsite, such as cutting through a live wire or PT cable.
They also help to avoid project delays and reduce the risk of costly structural damage, repairs or rework.
NON-DESTRUCTIVE STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS - REBAR
Our Hilti PS 250 Ferroscan System is specifically designed for rebar inspection and non-destructive structural analysis, without the need to drill into an existing structure:
- Find post-installed rebar up to 40cm in dry concrete.
- Analyze the depth of concrete cover up to a depth of 10cm.
- Scan large areas of concrete quickly and easily.
You can use our Hilti PS 250 Ferroscan to mark up your jobsite as you scan, with real-time 2D and 3D images displayed on the scanner’s screen.
If you need more detailed analysis of the scan results, you can use our Hilti PROFIS Detection and Ferroscan Map Software.
DETECTING HIDDEN OBJECTS BEFORE DRILLING, CUTTING OR CORING
It’s important to detect embedded pipes, rebar, cables and other hidden objects before you start to drill, core, cut or saw - to avoid hits, damage and potentially costly repairs:
- Rebar - if you drill into rebar, you can damage its concrete cover and damage your own tools and drill bits.
- Post-tensioned tendon (PT cable) – if you drill into PT cable you can destroy the structural stability and safety of the building. It’s also life threatening, because if a tendon is split into two, it can move out of the concrete structure very quickly and hurt people.
- Electrical conduit (live cable) – you can get an electric shock and severely hurt yourself or even be killed.
- Water pipe – if you drill into a water pipe or water-filled voids you can damage the building due to leakage.
- Wire mesh – if you drill into wire mesh, structural beams, anchors and other embedded objects you can also cause costly damage.
The best Hilti detection systems to deal with these situations are:
REQUEST A FREE ONSITE DEMONSTRATION
Contact your local Hilti team to request a free demonstration or find out more information. We’re happy to help onsite, online and on the phone.
Share this content